Monday, August 5, 2013

August 5 - Give thanks and use it before you lose it!

Last week the youth and young adults of several churches in the city collaborated in a city-wide revival.  The "City On Our Knees" revival, consisting of New Salem, Rehoboth Temple, First Church of God, Rhema Christian Center and Trinity Baptist Church, truly blessed me. 

In one of the sermons the preacher asked; "if you woke up today with only what you thanked God for yesterday...what would you have?"  WOE!!!  I was immediately convicted and mortified at everything I would have lost.  The obvious material things crossed my mind but what really got me was that I had not taken the time to thank God for my life, for my spouse, for my children, health and strength.  All gifts...all things that I have taken for granted.

The bible says, " I always thank my God for you and for the gracious gifts he has given you, now that you belong to Christ Jesus. Through him, God has enriched your church in every way—with all of your eloquent words and all of your knowledge. This confirms that what I told you about Christ is true. Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ"  (1 Corinthians 1:4-7, NLT).  As believers, we need to give thanks not only for the gifts God has given to us, but also for the gifts deposited in our church.  Everything we need to stand against the enemy, his plots and schemes; God has provided.  As my pastor says, everything we need "is in the house".  The concept of a city-wide, multi-church revival with "every spiritual gift you need" is amazing, encouraging and empowering...now if only we'd stir up the gifts!

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues (1Corinthians 12:8-10).  The church, and those endowed with spiritual gifts, has to be leery of losing what we don't use!

Lord, forgive me for taking all the gifts You've give me for granted.  I thank You for my life!  I thank You for my husband, I thank You for my children, I thank You for my mother, sisters and brothers.  I thank You for my health and strength, for my pastor and church family, for a home, food and clothes.  I thank You for opportunities to share Your word.  I thank You for using me to bless other and help them find their voice.  I thank You for every spiritual gift in my church for the building of Your kingdom and blessing of Your people.  I pray that those possessing spiritual gifts will begin to operate in their gift and use their gift for Your glory.  In Jesus name, Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment