Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April 2 - NO SOLICITING!!!

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."  Revelation 3:20 (KJV)

One of our neighbors, a few doors down, has a sign on their front door which reads, "NO SOLICITING".  I've never asked, but I assume the sign is there to discourage door-to-door selling, requests for signatures on petitions, proselyting etc.  When I first saw the sign, the first thing I thought was, "whatever...don't nobody want to come to your house anyway!" (I know...not very kind of me).  Then we started getting fliers from painters and lawn care services and security system companies and home improvement businesses and on and on.  Nothing like being in the middle of a good sleep and the doorbell interrupts on a Saturday.  There were a few times when folk were allegedly trying to sell alarm systems that could have very well been trying to determine if our house was a good target for burglary, so I understand the sign.  There's also the occasional guest who just happens to drop by unexpectedly.  This really used to get on my nerves!  Before I got married, if someone came to my house without calling, it was not unusual for me to leave them on the porch ringing the doorbell.  They'd pull out the cell phone and call me like, "I know you hear me ringing your doorbell", and I'd say, "yes, and the same way you just called, you could have called before you came"!  That was then...thank God for growth!  :-)
Even though Jesus was addressing the church in the above scripture; I had to think about my own personal peeves and not wanting to be 'bothered' by someone at the door.  What have I forfeited by not opening my door to one of God's children.   Even worse, when I do not repent, I have left Jesus knocking at the door of my heart. 

Lord, when You stand at the door of our hearts and knock; let us hear and let us open the door.  I pray that my child will hear Your voice and open the door.  Thank You for the promise of fellowship with us when You're accepted!  You said in Your word that if we open the door, you would come in and dine with us, well in anticipation of deliverance, restoration, healing, forgiveness, reconciliation, salvation; I'm setting the table!  GLORAAAAAY!!!!  In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment