Tuesday, April 23, 2013

April 23

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.  Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)

Believers should not undertake anything presumptuously, but in all things search for the Lord's will (James 4:14-16).  If our deeds and motives are right, then we can commit them to the Lord and be assured that he will establish them and bless us.  (The Full Life Study Bible, Study Notes)

We're studying from "Five Lies that Ruin Relationships--Wrong Beliefs Produce Wrong Behavior" by Chip Ingram in our couples Sunday School class.  Lie #3 is "Upwardly mobile work opportunities are automatically the will of God."  We talked about how we often make bad job decisions and I remember the presenter saying, "a good job might be a great job, but is it a God job?" 

I can personally testify that I've had a few pretty good jobs.  They were stable and the income provided paid my bills, but not one of those jobs fulfilled me.  Being able to spend time with my family and help other families who have children with special needs is the will of God for me.  He has confirmed that for me over and over since I left my last job.  I could have kept trying to climb the corporate ladder but I don't think I would have ever been elevated nor would I ever truly edify the kingdom.  It's vital that we help our children understand the difference between pursuing position and positioning themselves for purpose.  There's nothing like going after a job/position because of the salary, perks and prestige only to realize that job makes you miserable; it's not what you thought it would be, the hours are too long, the environment is total chaos...in other words; everything that looks good to you ain't good for you!  Talking with our children about their education and career paths can help them avoid the Lie #3.

Heavenly Father, Your word says that "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps" (Proverbs 16:9), so we thank you determining the steps of our children.  We pray that whatever he/she has planned in their heart aligns with the steps laid out for them.  If he/she is unsure of where to go or what to do, we pray that you make it plain!  Remind them that you no matter what it looks like, if they commit their plans to You and submit to Your will; they can rest on your promises.  Help us to consider how the decisions we make affect those with whom we have relationships...especially You!  In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment