Monday, March 18, 2013

March 18

"...we have known and believed the love that God hath to us.  God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."  1 John 4:16 KJV (Power of a Praying Parent, Stormie Omartian)

Initially this scripture would seem like one of those meek and mild scriptures that give you a warm fuzzy feeling.  But when I think about what it says, I get excited and stirred up about another line of defense against the enemy.  When I read "we have known AND believed", I was immediately drawn into KNOWN.  The word translated known in our text comes from the Greek word gnosko which is 'to know by experience'.  It is a verb, an action word, meaning something we do...we participate in the knowing.  And because we participate in the knowing, we gain the experience of knowing, which is something that can never be taken away.  When we KNOW GOD, it's a lot easier to BELIEVE GOD!  There is a hymn that says, "There are some things I may not know, there are some places that I can't go; but I am sure of this one thing...that God is real, for I can feel Him in my soul."  Another song says, "You can't make me doubt Him, I KNOW too much about Him".  Knowing God is important in being able to "stand against the wiles of the devil".  Nevertheless, we also have to recognize that there are some, that have not known the love of God and therefore believing can be a challenge.  Our responsibility is to show God's love in tangible ways and point them to Jesus as the author and finisher of their faith. 

God I know that You love me because You sent Your Son to die for my sins!  I know that You love because You gave me Your Spirit so that I can crucify the flesh and be led by the Spirit.  I know that You love me because Your compassion never fails...Your word says "It is the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."  I know that You love me because when I was speeding and deserved a ticket; You granted me grace and had the officer give me a warning.  I know that You love me because when it could've been malignant, You said benign.  I know that You love me because as a single mother, when I needed my brakes fixed, You approved my credit so the repairs could be made.  So many times You've proven Your love toward me...I just can't tell it all.  My prayer is that anyone who has not known You, will know You for themselves and they too will believe.  In Jesus name, Amen!

http://youtu.be/4QKeGO-5nao

No comments:

Post a Comment