Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March 27

After all this, God tested Abraham. God said, “Abraham!”  “Yes?” answered Abraham. “I’m listening.”  He said, “Take your dear son Isaac whom you love and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I’ll point out to you.”  Abraham got up early in the morning and saddled his donkey. He took two of his young servants and his son Isaac. He had split wood for the burnt offering. He set out for the place God had directed him. On the third day he looked up and saw the place in the distance. Abraham told his two young servants, “Stay here with the donkey. The boy and I are going over there to worship; then we’ll come back to you.”   Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and gave it to Isaac his son to carry. He carried the flint and the knife. The two of them went off together.  Isaac said to Abraham his father, “Father?”
“Yes, my son.”  “We have flint and wood, but where’s the sheep for the burnt offering?”  Abraham said, “Son, God will see to it that there’s a sheep for the burnt offering.” And they kept on walking together.  They arrived at the place to which God had directed him. Abraham built an altar. He laid out the wood. Then he tied up Isaac and laid him on the wood. Abraham reached out and took the knife to kill his son.  Just then an angel of God called to him out of Heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”
“Yes, I’m listening.”  “Don’t lay a hand on that boy! Don’t touch him! Now I know how fearlessly you fear God; you didn’t hesitate to place your son, your dear son, on the altar for me.” 
Genesis 22:1-18 (Message)

The Full Life Study Bible's study notes offers that "The central issue lay in two areas that illustrate God's measure in dealing with all believers. (a) Was Abraham's love for God greater than his love for others, even his beloved son? (b) Was Abraham's hope of the fulfillment of the promise still in God, or did he now hope in something else, i.e., in Isaac?  Through this test God forced Abraham to face these questions and to make clear whether he indeed feared God with all his heart.  God did not really desire Isaac's physical death, for he later condemned human sacrifice as a terrible sin.  But he did want to test Abraham's commitment."  WOE!!! 

For me, two things validate these two areas in the scripture.  First, the scripture tells us that 'Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and gave it to Isaac for his son to carry.'  I believe that the wood symbolizes the cross and we all have our own cross to bear (carry).  In this time of testing, though we may be tempted to carry the cross for our children; greater love for God would have us to give them the wood and let them carry it for themselves.  How else will they ever truly appreciate the cross?  Second, we must keep our hope in God for the fulfillment of the promise and our prayers.  Abraham said, in faith, that God would provide!  Thus exhibiting his faith in God fulfilling the promise.  Sometimes we get caught up focusing on the promise (our children) and we neglect the Promise Keeper.  Our hope, our faith, must be in God...not our children.  It's dangerous to put your faith in anyone other than God not only because it's likely that people will fail you, but also because God may just decide to test your commitment!

Oh Lord, I love You and I declare that You are the desire of my heart!  I love my children with an indescribable love.  Although this is fact; I dare not love or covet them, more than You.  On a grading scale, one can pass with a 'D'.  Though the grade is considered "Poor", it's still a passing grade.  Well Lord, I don't just want to pass this test; I want to ACE this test, so that I will not have to repeat the lesson again.  Let me not hesitate to put my son/daughter on the altar for You and You will know that I reverently fear You as the all-knowing God.  As my faith is tested, help me to "consider it pure joy",whenever I face trials of many kinds, knowing that the testing of my faith develops perseverance.  As You implore me to release my child to you; God give me peace in the process and comfort during the chaos.  Just as this test will pass, so will I...with an 'A'.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment