Friday, March 29, 2013

March 29

"Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation:  the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."  Matthew 26:41 (KJV)

I use to ignorantly quote 'the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' as a way to justify my shortcomings or inability to resist temptation.  Reading the scripture in context; I realize that the scripture is much more weighted than I could have ever imagined.  When Jesus says these words, He's in the garden of Gethsemane and has just found his disciples asleep after asking them to pray.  Jesus' realization that the fulfillment of scripture is inevitable has him, in his human state, "sorrowful".  So much so that He even asks, "if it be possible, let this cup pass from me..."  Thankfully, Jesus submits His will to the will of God!

The weight of this scripture lies in knowing that when confronted by the multitude, Jesus could have prayed to His Father and the Father would "presently give me more than twelve legions of angels" (v. 53).  But Jesus didn't...He knew what was at stake and He did not enter into temptation. 

As we enter this season of the Resurrection and we reflect on what was done on Calvary; I have to be honest about this season of prayer...I feel as if I'm being crucified.  Nevertheless; it's not about me!  There are so many people, children, marriages and unborn seeds that are being affected by the corporate prayers; like Jesus, I have to say "not as I will, but as thou wilt." 

Father, you know what I'm facing and You know where I stand.  You know my head and my heart.  You know that my head says, 'right is right and wrong is wrong'; but my heart says 'forgive for they know not what they do' and I should not judge but take them to Jesus.  You know that as a parent, I want this 'cup to pass', but as Your servant, I know that this portion of life must be fulfilled.  So Lord, I ask for Your strength and grace.  Thank you for peace!  Thank you for your word to help me increase my faith and trust.  I know that You would not put more on me than I can bear.  Weeping may endure for a night, but joy will come...it will come!  In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment