Thursday, March 21, 2013

March 21

Cause me to hear Your loving kindness in the morning, For in You do I trust.  Psalm 143:8
(Power of a Praying Parent, Stormie Omartian)

Sometimes our kids are slow to get up in the morning on school days.  I have the morning routine down to a science so every minute is managed to ensure we stay on time and don't miss the bus.  The routine is always the same:  wake up, eat breakfast, brush teeth/wash face, get dressed, head out!  As the conductor of this 'morning train', I'm the one that gets it started with the wake up call.  I've noticed that when I yell from the kitchen for the kids to get up, they come downstairs with a little attitude.  But when I go into their room and tickle them awake or sing a song to get them up; they are much more pleasant.  I also make a conscious effort NOT to fuss or discipline them in the morning.  IT'S CHALLENGING because the children are not always cooperative!  Sometimes, one gets back in bed (totally throwing off the routine), somebody eats slow, somebody can't find their socks, somebody didn't finish all their homework...SIGH!  Nevertheless, yelling at them only serves to start their day off on the wrong foot.  Just think about it, if I bring them to tears before they even leave the house, I'm setting the atmosphere for their day.

The scripture above comes from a passage titled, "The prayer of a soul in distress".  It may seem strong, but look at it this way.  Have you ever used the phrase; "I got out up on the wrong side of the bed"?  You stayed up too late watching television, the alarm clock sounded too early, you burned the toast and the coffee spilled all over the counter.  Now imagine that morning with someone yelling at you to "Hurry up or you're going to miss the bus" or "what do you mean you can't find your socks?...they're your socks...don't make me come up there!"  When it's time to leave the house, faces are long and hearts crushed.  Our children have enough to deal with outside the home!  While they're at home, they should be safe from distress, at least first thing in the morning!  I got this practice from my mom because she would always admonish us about arguing with one another and not resolving it before parting ways.  She'd say, "you don't know if this is the last time you'll see one another".  God forbid if something were to happen to a child and the last thing he/she remembers is their parent complaining about being late for school or incomplete homework!  

Lord, help me to remember that I can establish my child's day with my words!  Help me to first spend time with You Lord, so that when I encounter my child(ren) he/she will know that I've been in Your presence.  There will be some days that I will not only need to pray for them, but I will need to pray WITH them, so help me to have the right mindset when I rise.  Give me and the children an attitude of gratitude for another day You've blessed us to see.  Help me to greet my children with Your loving kindness in the morning and the day will align accordingly.  In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment